Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Regression

Three cheers for Rick for keeping the blog active while I took a much needed rest from the computer. I never knew that trying to get 4 hours sleep in a 24 hour period could be so exhausting.

I thought that as a new parent I would gaze at my newborn and try to determine whether her face, movements, and personality most resembled Rick or me. Instead, I find myself gazing at Rick, and noticing behaviors in myself that are newborn-infant-like. Maybe it is the sleep deprivation, but here is a list of things Rick and I do that seem more like things Harper does, than things a normal adult would do:
* Slowly blinking our eyes while they don't quite focus on anything (usually with a slack-jawed mouth accompaning vacant stare)
* Yawn very very slowly
* Sometimes dribble out food out of our mouth while eating
* Sleep with our hands curled up in little fists by our faces

Maybe this is an evolutionary strategy to allow us to better understand Harper.