Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The Final Countdown

Here I am again, on the couch at an ungodly hour with my ginger ale, trying to cure the nausea, unable to sleep, alternating between reading a book, browsing the internet, and petting Osa. By tonight this will seem such a quiet, calm, relaxing time.

Unless I actually go into labor naturally in the next 10 hours we will arrive at Williamsburg Sentara hospital registration at 4 PM for check-in. Then by 5 PM I will have had an ultrasound to verify the baby is head down, and the cervidil will be administered. Followed by 2 hours of continual baby monitoring, some dinner, hopefully some sleep, unless the baby makes an appearance. Thursday morning around 5 AM will be when we determine if the medication did anything, and I get to decide how I want to proceed: pitocin, epidural, c-section - choices choices.

I am nervous, but know that we will have a baby, one way or another, by 7 PMish Thursday. Stay tuned.

So strange that tonight was the last night Rick and I had in our house with just the two of us and Osa. No regrets, but know that I will look back with glazed-over, sleep-deprived eyes remembering how quiet, relaxed, and well-rested we were. I am not at all certain we have savored this experience enough.

1 comment:

meadowridge said...

Honey, I left Spruce Pine hospital well within 24 hours of your birth with these final words by Dr. McGahey: Some babies cry alot, others hardly cry at all. I don't know which kind you have. I, for one, know and love that you you have been wonderfully fretful and expressive from the beginning! You are already a lovely mother and will continue your expressive life's journey. Remember to live by the truth in your beloved heart. And, breathe. You are loved and everyone in your life space loves you. Peace and joy through and beyond this delivery, S. Voyager