Monday, November 5, 2007

Snap-On Vaginas, Toddler Crushes, and End of an Entertainment Era

Saturday was another 8 hour practical. 4 hours of medical emergencies, and since I have shown proficiency at managing diabetic, cardiac, respiratory, and allergic emergencies I get to spend the time practicing my dramatic acting as a patient. Such fun to collapse in the arms of one of my fellow students, gasp a few times, go limp, then roll my eyes back in my head. Once I died because a very nervous EMT gave me nitroglycerin when my systolic bp was only 98 (big no no as nitro lowers the blood pressure dramatically), and once I died because after administering nitro an EMT was confused about my chest pain (not caused by my fine acting), thought I was having an asthma attack, and tried to give me albuterol which caused me to have increased chest pain and keel over.

Saturday afternoon I haven't completely processed... I got to deliver a very ugly plastic baby from a plastic vagina connected by metal snaps to the torso and cut-off legs of a plastic ob-gyn training dummy. The plastic baby was connected by a plastic umbilical cord connected to a plastic placenta that looked like a portabello mushroom, except for its cherry-red color. Plastic baby was covered in ky-jelly, and the valuable training tip I was given, "If you drop the baby, the first thing you do is pick the baby up."

The Simon,s from cafesimon.com, were here visting from CO on Sunday, they came with R (2 yr), and H (6 mo), and two adult friends from VA Beach with their kids: S (7 yr), and N (5 yr). I got to observe R having an extreme toddler crush on S. Not so very different from my crushes: chasing, tackling, hugging, laying on top-of, yelling object's name over and over even while the object of your desire rolls their eyes and screams for his mother.

We are one episode away from the end of Deadwood, and I want to cry. I need that dialog in my life. Where else will I hear gems like: "My counter offer is for you to go fck yourself".

Oh sweet sweet Deadwood.

No comments: