Tuesday, November 13, 2007

ER Clinical Number Two

Tuesdays are a little different in the ER. We have all heard that insurance-less people are forced to use the ER as their doctors office, and I experienced this first hand. I shadowed the triage nurse for the first few hours, and got to see people come to the ER for medical help, but stop off at the vending machine in the waiting room to get a flippin candy bar before getting care. Hmm...nope not jaded yet.

I also got to witness a patient asking for a "note" from the doctor to show their boss. This note was requesting the patient no longer be required to clean-up the floor of the fast food restaurant, but rather be allowed to man the cash register so that the patient would not need to walk so much. Nope, not even jaded yet.

The coolest thing I saw was the dreaded avulsion. The doctor let me watch the cleaning and the stitching. And I now have a healthy fear of table saws. Which leads me to the coolest invention for contractors EVER: the SawStop.

No comments: