Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Neon Orange Belts

At our new dojang (not dojo which is Japanese, but dojang because we are now learning an entirely different martial arts language: Korean) we have earned our orange belts. A belt ceremony was a surprise as at our last dojo the ceremony was Sensei remembering to give us our new belts. I am thrilled to have taken my first test at the new school. The first is always the hardest, but I also miss my white belt. With the white belt you can learn everything, but there are no expectations, no one expects you to break boards with your hands, no one expects you to actually block the punches they are throwing at your face, no once expects you to gracefully break-fall after they throw you over their shoulder. Yep, I will start missing my white belt more and more. (but I am thrilled to actually get to start sparring again, nowhere will allow a white belt to spar, no matter how much protective gear you wear).

The only bummer is that I will not be able to take class next semester as I will have biology class both nights class is offered. This will mean Rick will be at least one belt ahead of me ... argh!

No comments: