Thursday, November 29, 2007

Gift Guide For Others (Not for Me)

Note that these are not gifts I am looking for, but rather what I hope to be inspiration in choosing gifts for others.

I tend to not want more stuff, yet still appreciate finding gifts for people. I tend to think that
experience gifts are best. and don't clutter-up the homes of people I love. So, here are my five recommendations:

1) For the news lovers: Premium membership to salon.com. I have had my membership for, hmm, maybe 4 years, and at least read Broadsheet everyday. Premium membership means you don't get forced to watch ads, and don't forget that salon broke the Abu Ghraib photos. Membership available at: https://sub.salon.com/gift/

2) For the donation gift: I have my favorite donation site: Heifer International. I have a personal connection with this organization. My grandfather brought plow horses to Italy after WWII with the founder of this group. I have also attended their Lambing Weekend with my mother, and felt even better about the organization after seeing the work in person. The best part about giving a donation to someone as a gift is that you get the cutest cards with pictures of whatever animal you gifted.

3) For A Touchable
Gift: Etsy.com. "Our mission is to enable people to make a living making things, and to reconnect makers with buyers". It is sometimes hard to search for items, but it is a thrill to find the perfect leather cuff, print of Bill Murray, or hand-made stuffed animal, AND know that the money goes to the craft artist. Their gift guide is also useful.

4) Event Gifts: Signature Days is a website to find event oriented gifts. A hot air balloon ride in Chicago will set you back $229, but may be just what you step-mother needs to put you in her good graces for the next year. A water cruise from Washington DC to Mount Vernon will only set you back $44, and in Dallas you can get a private handgun lesson for $60. Search around in any major urban area and you might find the perfect gift for someone who hates stuff, but loves getting good story material.

5) I am also a fan of finding a local restaurant and getting loved ones gift certs, especially if they have regularly frequented spot. Zagat.com is my standard restaurant search site.

No comments: