Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Pong Fu

Every Monday, and possibly some Wednesdays, Rick and I are driving to the Newport News Rec Center and doing pong fu.
Pong Fu [pong foo, pawng foo]
n. A activity consisting of an hour of martial arts and an hour of table tennis.
Rick had been going to the table tennis club for the past two months. The Virginia State Champion practices there. It is a serious business. Eight tables are setup and people play. I have gone twice, and I work-up a sweat. Really. It is tiring: mentally and physically. I also absolutely stink at it. I am getting better, but my backhand looks like I am mr. roboto.
Following our pong, we do the fu...
Found a dojo, strangely it is tae kwon do. The instructor, Instructor Will, has a 13 year tae kwon do practice, but before that he was a judo guy. So we will be doing grappling and quite a bit more striking than in a traditional tae kwon do practice. I like Instructor Will. He is laid back (for a marital arts guy), and let's us giggle during class. My biggest challenge right now is switching my punching from an american boxing style to the korean style where you chamber low and have a horizontal fist. I just can't figure it out and am doing some strange blend of the two that resembles a tyrannosaurus rex arm.

No comments: