Wednesday, August 22, 2007

More Todd, the same amount of Mc

OK, there's been a definite Mc lean to this blog so far, and I'm here to change that. I'm blogging from here at work. We're coming down into the final push for my first deliverable at my new job, which has been 4 months in the making. I don't know why I'm saying "we", as it's pretty much been "me". If any of you don't know, I'm working on a Data Warehouse (if I were cool I could put in a link to a wikipedia page describing what a Data Warehouse is here, but hey, you're on the internet, so go find it yourself) for my new employer: Colonial Williamsburg Foundation. No Craig, it's not so I can track how much butter churning they're getting done on a monthly basis. It's to track their multitude of lines of business: Hotel, Food and Beverage, Golf, Ticketing, Donations, Retail, and Activities.
The project has been pretty intense. I'm definitely struggling with the lack of someone to go to when I have questions about the best way to do something, even more than I did at RTP. That's because there aren't many people out there working on what I'm working on, and I guess a lot of them are probably keeping their knowledge to themselves. This is probably because if you're not working for a non-profit you get paid pretty well to do this. My decision to leave RTP partly to reduce my stress both has and has not come true. I'm never pressured here to work more hours and produce more, but I'm certainly putting more pressure on myself to produce good quality work since it's absolutely MY project.

Oh well, that's probably enough random thoughts for now. I'll post something different next time. Who wants to read about how I feel about work?

1 comment:

dredful said...

So the monthly butter churning reports are phase II?

What's it like to use a coal burning SQL Server? (i'm never going to stop doing this)

Hang in there. I'm sure you will give 'em solid solutions they will love.