Wednesday, August 22, 2007

EMT Basic Class: First Class

You know the phrase 'those who can't do teach'? Well, I have a sneaking suspicion that my teacher is a do-er. At least my first EMT class was chaotic. The room is much too small for the whole class. There are 36 students and a teacher and I swear the room is only 10' x 18' = cramped. We played the most confusing get-to-know-each-other game - I still am not at all sure what the rules were but it involved index cards, questions about what color socks we were wearing, and standing up. In Thursday's class we choose our partners, these will be our partners for the whole class, AND for the class and state tests. This is an especially important choice as the practicals are all done with a partner and you pass or fail as a unit. So far I have not identified my partner.

The textbook is fabulous. Only 3 photos are cringe worthy and I won't even go into what they are showing. After a brief viewing of the textbook I can tell you what I think my initial uncomfortable situations will be: anything with babies or children, an avulsion (don't ask), or a serious contagious disease.

The only physical thing in the class that has me nervous is that everyone must be able to lift, balance, and move 125 pounds. I am hoping Rick will teach me is super-duper firefighter techniques for moving people.

No comments: