Sunday, August 19, 2007

The Cactus Flower's Name Is Audrey



The cactus flower has bloomed and it is possibly the scariest and ugliest flower since Little Shop of Horrors. Click on the photo and view the larger image, and you will see it has fur. Is this a mammal? The flower petals appear to be made of leather: blood colored leather. I am facinated by this plant. This is the goth-girl in me's favorite plant since the Venus Flytrap.

In other Virginia plant news: I spent 4 hours at a clinic on Saturday: The 'Super Turf 2007' clinic. It is a full day (I only attended half) of lectures and demos about lawn maintenance. The presenters are phds from Virginia Tech who specialize in lawns. Granted they help on professional sports' turf and on golf courses, but I still am amazed you can get a botony specialized phd in grass.

The presentations were interesting, I was hooked on the information: learned more about crab grass, and warm season turf vs. cold season turf than you can imagine. I was slightly uncomfortable as I was part of the 1% of the audience that wasn't retired and wasn't over 60 years in age.

1 comment:

dredful said...

Burn it! Burn it to ashes right now! One look at that thing and u can tell it isn't from this planet. The movie "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" is a documentary and a warning.