Friday, January 2, 2009

It's All Up From Here

Yesterday we had a fried turkey and football party. My mom and little brother, John, were in town and we invited about a dozen or so friends to come over sometime around 1PM. Invite was to bring husbands, wives, girlfriends, boyfriends, dogs, and children for a New Year's Day afternoon cook-out. Nothing brings in a New Year like 30 pounds of boiling peanut oil.

Thank goodness my mom and John were here as Harper and I took a spill down the stairs 2 hours before everyone showed up. Harper fell out of my hands and knocked her bum, knees, and then her forehead on the lip of a stair. She was screaming, I was screaming. Rick, Harper, and I got in the car and headed to the ER. Harper stopped screaming and stopped crying. I was still crying on the phone to the nurse hotline as we were driving to the ER. The nurse asked me "What is the baby doing now?" My response, while gasping through sobs, "She, she's smiling at me. (blubber blubber)"

After a CT scan, and a "baby-gram" that involved taking 10 x-rays of Harper while her hands were tapped to the x-ray table (and much more blubbering by me), we were given a clean-bill-o-health and sent back to our party that was underway without us.

We have a great group of friends that managed to actually read directions on how to fry a turkey and get the program started, and started making black-eyed-pea-fritters, and collard greens.

Oh, and the best thing we ate were snickers bars fried in funnel-cake batter. Boy do I feel far away from Colorado and all my friends who probably brought in the new year by hiking up some mountain and eating a Clif Bar.

No comments: