Monday, January 19, 2009

DC, Baby Classes, and Games Games Games

Rick, Harper, Anthony & I head to DC today. I am awed that my husband is willing to brave the elements and crowds for this occasion, but you couldn't pay me any amount of money to take Harper into that mess tomorrow. That said, I can't wait to see Rick's photos of the jumbo trons showing the inauguration. I think the drive this afternoon stresses me more than anything, but it too shall pass. I have 24 oz of infant formula handy, and several baby toys to either amuse Harper or stuff my own ears if needed.

Harper started her baby music class last week (Music Together with Jocelyn), and Leslee and Harper both love it. I am very jealous I am not attending, but this is the first of many things that this working mother will miss. Itsy Bitsy yoga starts this week and it is on my day off so I at least get that activity with my little one.

On an adult note: Rick and I hosted the first, of hopefully many, game nights. Rick was given ~60 games by his father who was a bit of a game collector. His selection was partial to logic games, but also has a few trivia, and social games. We invited over 6 other people and played a few of these. The lesson we learned was to maybe know a bit about the games you choose to play before you play them.

A couple people played Netherworld, advertised as ancient Egypt's version of backgammon. This was reviewed as "okay". Imho the coolest part about this game is that the dice are popsicle stick things with various markings that you throw and read like a voodoo practicioner.

Octi, a game I have played before and loved, was also tried and given a good review.

Then a bunch of us tried Quintessence. Hmm. After reading the box you can only conclude this must be the most amazing game ever. A couple of the quotes:

"The most original game invented in 20 years"
"Destined to become a classic in its time."
"speedy to learn"
"beautiful to behold"
and most confusingly
"international" (which I was sure meant that it involved swinging as this game is definately from the 70's)

This game was designed by someone who wanted a board game that involved a board, cards, dice, pawns, AND plastic circular markers. The only thing is was missing was a rubber bouncy ball. This could have been fun with fewer players, or if one of the players hadn't stumbled across a strategy that effectively stopped play (and they rest of us didn't figure it out for at least 30 minutes). So, this game was good to play while the football game was on.

No comments: