Thursday, October 11, 2007

Our First Virginia "bar" Experience

First, you should know there are no bars in Virginia. None. Virginia is one of those commonwealths that decree that all places serving alcohol must serve a certain percentage of food, and that percentage is somewhere over 50%. Thus, all places are restaurants, but what this really means is that all the bars serve decent food.

Rick and I went to our first fauz-bar last weekend. It was near the William and Mary campus, and full of college undergrads and grad students. Maybe even a few of the younger, hipper professors. The Green Leafe Cafe was full of dark wood paneling, and serves over 150 different bottled beers.

The strange thing about this faux bar, or let me re-state, the strange thing about the William and Mary crowd is how they dress. Almost every woman was in a cocktail dress - at a bar. At a bar where they have a big screen tv with the football game on. These woman had real honest to god up-do hair-dos. They looked ready for a wedding - even as maids of honor. The men were also in their finest. I actually saw a sweater casually hung around a man's neck. Like this was Caddyshack! As a college student I would never go drinking in anything that wouldn't recover from vomit.

My readers from Virginia Tech - is this normal?

2 comments:

dredful said...

Yeah, um, well. Virginia Tech is a state school. Therefore, actual people go to school there. Since we actually have to pay for stuff and send what little is left back to our destitute families in a futile effort to save the family farm.

You, my friend, were frequenting the hang out of a private school. Those folks are not actual people but rather wraith like seductive images that are not as real as they appear. Some have theorized that they are in fact internal psyche projections of what state schoolies hope to be.

AmberPie said...

I confused the email/post so you will get this 2x. Had I gone to W&M I am sure I would not have made that mistake.

Not normal. In fact, thinking back... WAY back, I don't think I have ever come in contact with a W&M graduate. I am not sure they allowed them on the VT campus, not because VT didnt allow them, but because W&M didnt want their students picking up any bad habits.

What I DO remember is in HS, there was definately a certain "MOLD" of students that seemed to be accepted at W&M. After they were gone I never really interacted with them, truth be told before they left I didnt interact with them much either.

I have never made an effort to explore the world of W&M, however I am sure it is an exceptional university.