Thursday, October 25, 2007

Brick Kiln


Last night around 10 pm Rick and I drove to Colonial Williamsburg to watch the firing of the brick kiln. Every year CW has a working brickyard, and then before the first frost they fire the bricks. The bricks are then used for building and repair within CW.

A brick kiln is entirely made of the bricks to be fired, then coated with mud. For 2 days the tunnels within the kiln are filled with wood fire and coals, and then throughout 2 - 4 days the bricks cook at a temperature around 2000 degrees. The kiln must be manned 24 hours a day. When finished the entire structure is dismantled, which provides the new bricks.

All day and night it was drizzling rain, so the ground was giving off that earthy, rotting , sweet smell. The kiln smell reminded me of a camp fire and apple cider. I wish I new what wood they were burning, I would put braziers in my yard and light them every night with that stuff.

We also had dinner at a neighbors home with 2 neighborhood couples. We are starting to create our life here in Williamsburg.

No comments: