Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Furniture Moving Trip: Things I Learned About My Grandpa

I knew my mother's father got his phd in physics from Ohio State, and I roughly knew the year, but on my whirlwind trip to the Midwest I spent some time with grandpa during which he showed me his masters and phd thesis. His phd thesis was an extension of his masters, and they were both titled something along the lines of Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectrometer ... And both were funded by the Navy. (This brought-up a question of a Brethren Minister doing research for the Navy, but I didn't ask him about that.) The masters thesis was published around 1957 and the phd thesis around 1958, with a final research paper to the Navy in 1960. This team of Midwestern physicists were working on identifying biological weapons (this was the Cold War) in air/water/other mediums with the help of what is now MRI technology. My grandfather quoted another researcher who said, The magnet " weighs as much as one Buick, and costs as much as two Buicks."

NOTE: This Buick pictured weighed about 4000 pounds and cost about $2700 in 1958.

No comments: