Sunday, August 17, 2008

Strictly Adult Entertainment

For the past few months I have enjoyed only adult-themed entertainment (not pron, but decidedly R-rated material). Whether it is Netflix watch instantly 'Law and Order SVU' (can't get enough of dramatized sex crimes), Showtime's 'Dead Like Me', or the current book I am reading: Mary Roach's 'Stiff: The Curious Lives Of Human Cadavers' (I do highly recommend this book, but only if you can find humor in the extremely grotesque).

Rick is at a loss. He refuses to watch anymore SVU with me as the rape and pedophilia turn his stomach. And I am convinced he thinks I am already scarring our child. I am also convinced that this is a not-well-disguised attempt to maintain my adult identity and not succumb to constant reading of 'Ferdinand' and 'The Little Engine That Could.' Excellent books, but they don't really pack the punch of 'Dexter' or 'The L Word', my latest tv addiction.

3 comments:

APS said...

ha! or you could just like watching creepy tv shows. or do you think it has some connection to the EMT training that you did?
often watching/reading/etc things that are distressing are a way of dealing with distressing things too. it's good ol' escapism in a lot of ways.

hi btw!

DoubleA

McTodds said...

I do laugh at the gore much more than before the EMT training. Dexter can put me in a giggle-fit.

I do love the escapism and need it now that I can't roll-over, stand-up, or tie my shoes in less than 5 minutes. Heck, Rick is going to help me trim my toe-nails tonight. Ah that is true love.

MintyJ said...

I love SVU. Love. It. I miss having television because I can't happily stumble on an SVU marathon someplace. Being able to do that is one of the best things about visiting my parents (in which case I guess I am just visiting their cable.)