Wednesday, August 13, 2008

How This Recession Has Changed My Habits

Yesterday after a $ grocery trip I started to think about the ways Rick and I have been consciously and subconsciously saving money both due to the arrival of our baby and our country's continuing financial distress. Said grocery trip was actually a little less than we usually spend per week, but I would love to spend even less, while still eating well. I am nervous this post will come off sounding like "o poor me and my loss of bourgeois luxuries", but I agree with my good friend Dredmon:

"Who, outside of the Rockefeller's, thinks back to their grandparents and waxes about their wasteful ways? I don't remember hearing stories of how Mamamaw and Papapaw rushed down to the superstore every weekend to buy disposable products they could quickly use up and throw away during World War II rationing. Would the "Greatest Generation" look fondly upon our need to get a new cell phone every 10 months?"

The constant news stories of people making-due (or not making-due) with less has made me examine the small things. So, here is my list of small changes we have made:

* How I Drive: Rick has always driven with fuel-economy in mind. In the past I have pretended I drive with fuel economy in mind. Well, now I do. I drive slower, I accelerate slowly, I look down the road further, and coast whenever it makes sense. We are getting 50mpg consistently from our diesel car, and 34mpg from our gas.
* Air conditioning: I am using our ceiling fans religiously. Virginia weather almost requires air-conditioning for most people, and Rick and I set our home temp at 79 degrees, and I keep the ceiling fans on in whatever room I am in.
* Energy Audit: We had an energy audit done on our house last week. We are still awaiting the results and recommendations, but we look forward to hearing how we can improve our home's efficiency.
* Groceries: I have stopped buying bagged lettuce (ah, this is where you say "oh, call the whambulance you whiny richie rich"), but I have bought silly bagged lettuce and spinach for years, even though I own a nice salad spinner. Mysteriously I have started receiving 'Good Housekeeping' magazine. I blame either my OB's or our new pediatrician's office. If I get a magazine I tend to read it. The latest issue had a one page spread on "What Convenience Costs"
> head of romaine lettuce: $.25 per serving
> bagged cut romaine (not even organic): $.97 per serving.
And the list went on, biggest savings they report is on regular raw rice, vs. quick-cook or microwave rice bags. ($.19 per serving vs. $1.10 per serving).
* Library: We almost exclusively use our library for reading material (except magazines).

Rick and I live a life of luxury. Hell, I got a mani-pedi a few weeks ago and my haircut at the Colonial Williamsburg Spa last weekend. But, I can't help but think there are more and better ways to save our money while not even noticing a difference. Anyone have any good tips?

No comments: