Sunday, February 1, 2009

Trying to fall in love with my dog again

Oh Osa. Sweet sweet Osa.

I write this post knowing that many of the readers are devoted animal lovers and I need your help. I do really love our dog Osa. She came to us 5 weeks old after the owner of her mother threatened to drown a sack containing her and her siblings unless the humane society picked them up (in Colorado the human society charges a fee per dog they take off your hands to cover the cost of spaying or neutering.). She was so tiny. She ate out of a ramekin. We saw her through a urinary tract infection, spaying, several doses of hydrogen peroxide due to chocolate binges, and spider bites requiring benedryll. She devotedly ran miles and miles with me through the Rocky Mountains, even when her paws were tired. She wiggles and sqeaks with joy whenever we come home. She has never liked being hugged, or snuggled, just scratched under her collar. She is often aloof, which just makes me want to hug her more.

Well, since Harper was born I have found my beautiful, sweet dog exhausting. She barks and wakes Harper up. She barks when company comes. She requires walking when I would rather play with Harper. She has mostly just seemed like work. I wasn't expecting this feeling when I was pregnant. Osa and I have been family for 7 and a half years, I wasn't expecting to ever think of her as a task on my list. I am trying to get over this feeling.

She injured herself last week. Somehow, I think jumping through our new dog door, she lost a quarter sized piece of skin off her rear left knee. It took me almost half a day to notice her limping and I felt awful. I have been trying to redeem myself in her eyes since. It seems horrible that her injury made me realize how little I have played with her in the last 5 months. But I now resolve to reestablish my relationship with my dog. Hold me to it.

No comments: