Monday, February 9, 2009

Rick and My Three Marriages


So, this posting is for posterity.

Rick and I have wedded each other three times. Yep, three times. The first was in 1999 when we became domestic partners for insurance reasons. When Rollingstone.com was taken over by emusic, which was based in San Francisco CA, we became legal domestic partners. When I took my job with RTP, in Vail CO, it was contingent on them giving insurance to my "partner". This caused confusion for RTP who thought their first technical female hire was a lesbian, but they still hired me and Rick had insurance (thank goodness as ski mountains are injury manufacturing plants).

So, that is number one.

Then there was our "real" wedding. Our ceremony on Vail Pass with family, friends, a fancy dress, and Moe's Original BBQ (oh my god my mouth is watering just thinking about it). This ceremony was on July 3rd 2004. Well, about a month after this ceremony we went to the Avon, CO DMV which is where marriage licenses are submitted. We gave them our signed form, and they were suposed to file it.

That was number two.

We forgot all about this license.

Rick got a job in Virginia. Since I kept McSpadden as my last name his new company, Colonial Williamsburg, requested to see our marriage license before they extended insurance to me. I went to the Avon, CO DMV and requested a copy of our license. They couldn't find it. They requested a copy for the county seat, Eagle, CO. THEY couldn't find it. So, now we needed to get married again since Colorado lost our marriage license.

Except, Rick was living in Virginia and I was in Colorado finishing work and selling our house. So, I had to get the form that I call "How-To-Marry-An-Overseas-Soldier-Or-Prison-Inmate-Form". I got it notarized, Rick got it notarized and then I submitted another marriage license and we finally got our certificate. This was in 2007. Sometime in March.

My third husband is the best.

1 comment:

Rick Todd said...

Of all the women I've married, you're definitely the best looking!