Friday, May 2, 2008

Volcanoes

While on my morning dog walk I said "good morning" to a elderly gentleman with a 5 foot walking stick. He wasn't Gandolf; which I knew because he didn't have a beard and was wearing a Life Is Good baseball cap and a golf course polo shirt. He said "good morning" in return and then said "I'd like to tell you about something I have been reading up on." Hmm, Osa wasn't barking at him, so I stayed on my side of the road and he on his and he proceeded to tell me all about the volcanoes underneath Yellowstone National Park. How they formed not from tectonic plate grinding but from a "hot spot" which he described as a weakness in the Earth's mantle and crust. He then told me that the same weakness travels from Yellowstone to New Orleans, then to Charlottesville, then to Bermuda, a volcanic island.

I told him about the large caldera just north of Los Alamos, and the hot springs I frequented when I lived there.

We ended our conversation with him saying "The Earth is not solid."

No comments: