Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Finally Done With First Trimester...

As you can guess from the title, I am pregnant, and very excited. I haven't decided if I like the "Rick and I are pregnant" team approach to the announcement, or if I will stick to the more biologically possible "I am pregnant." Either way, both of us are thrilled. We have been able to see the little blob twice as I have needed a follow-up ultrasound. I wish I could see our little fetus every week because it is truly amazing. During the last ultrasound (10.5 weeks) the little strawberry (nick-name based on approximate size) waved its flippers at us. I think we woke it up.

Due date is August 23rd. Perfect timing as I would love to be 8 and 9 months pregnant during the hottest time of the year in Virginia.

We will find out gender (I want to know, Rick doesn't, but as I am pregnant we are going to find out). Names have been a slight problem. Rick and I tend to feel strongly opposed to each others suggestions. Like, how in the world does he want a son named Xander (fabulous Buffy reference aside), or Keifer (love Mr. Sutherland, but it sounds like an unfortunate and embarrassing sound). The only male name we can agree on is Jack.

Girl names are better. We are fond of Nora, Margot, and Allene (Rick's grandmother's name).

Suggestions are welcome...

O, so my latest pregnancy symptom is generally common, yet personally surprising: vivid dreams. This week my dream theme has been that I am pregnant and yet drinking pints of whiskey, smoking tobacco cigarettes and "left-handed cigarettes" (as my old EMT partner Felton called them). I even spend time in the dream rationalizing that: "it's okay, its lungs aren't even developing yet." Last night I dreamed an old co-worker and I were smoking joints in my grandmother's guest bedroom.

6 comments:

MintyJ said...

oh yay yay yay! Aa mentioned this to me a little bit ago. So excited for you guys!!!

Party Resources said...

Auntie Cake is so psyched!!

dredful said...

Congratulations!

I think you are safe with the "I'm pregnant." After the "kick off" meeting he is more like management while you become the actual labor force.

iridemtns said...

Yippppeeeeeee! Not only is it so very cool that you're preggers, but there is also a very good chance that your child and I can share a birthday and thus I might actually remember it! (Mine is August 22) Heather almost appeased me, but just missed by having Hayden on August 21... I'm rooting for the McTodds to do it!!! ;-) Loves, Amy

Mr. Smith said...

Ha! I was just thinking (tonight! seriously!),"Hmmm. They've been married a while. I wonder why they dont have a baby?"
I can stop wondering. Well done!

McTodds said...

Alex, that is very funny. Yeah, it took us a while to get to the point that we both wanted to try. Not that Rick or I specifically didn't want kids, but for years each time we brought it up one of us was noncommittal. Then one day we looked at each other and both of said we wanted to try this whole parenthood thing. - I quietly question this decision every once in a while (just in my inside head voice, but I think that is normal).