Friday, January 25, 2008

Life Saved by Capilene Underwear!


OK, so maybe my life wasn't actually *saved* by Capilene underwear, but headlines sell newspapers!

Here's the full scoop:

So, I left to ride to work this morning, and realized pretty quickly I was underdressed. I stopped about 3 minutes out from my house and put on my microfiber vest. I rode about another 7 minutes and realized I was still wasn’t going to make it without more clothes. I was wearing one of those ear jock thingers, but could feel the cold just pummeling my head under my helmet. I tried putting one of my gloved hands (yay Windstopper!) over the front of the helmet, which provided temporary relief, except that I kind of needed that hand for things like steering, braking, etc. So I stopped and dug around in my bag to see if I could use any of my work clothes to keep me warm. I didn’t really think my oxford shirt would make too much of a difference, and I wasn’t quite cold enough to look like that much of a jackass; bike clothes with a light blue button down shirt over the top of them is even worse that just bike clothes. So I found the undershirt I had brought with me, and tried to put that on my head, but couldn’t get the helmet to fit over it. Then I remembered that I had run out of my usual cotton boxers today, and had brought my one pair of Patagonia Capilene boxer-briefs with me. They have a fairly outrageous orange and maroon flower print on them. I couldn’t find the exact ones on Patagonia’s site, but they look roughly like this:

Yes they were clean. I had pulled them out of my drawer and put them in my bike bag along with the rest of my clothes to change into when I got to work. Yes they looked stupid on my head. But they kept me warm, and the wicking action was fantastic! Not that there’s much wicking going on when it’s only 20ish, but whatever.

I was still damn cold, but I made it to work. The best part was definitely the line from Raising Arizona going through my head over and over: Son…you got a panty on your head!

Here’s a picture of the helmet/boxers look:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel incredibly guilt as the only reason you needed to wear a panty on your head was because I lost your biking cap :(