Thursday, January 3, 2008

It's 2008

I wrote post. It was whiny - like "call the whambulance" whiny. And since I won't pull a Huckabee* and tell you how embarrassingly whiny it was, then show it to you anyway, I will write another post.

So far my 2008 has had a very physical focus. Stress and other factors have made me hyper-aware of my body: its size, shape, how it feels. This feels vain and egocentric, and I hope that I can turn this awareness into something more positive than a constant chatter about how I feel.

I am not a fan of New Year's resolutions, for all the obvious reasons; however, I am a fan of occasionally taking stock of things, and making some goals (this may just be a semantic difference).
So my goals for 2008:
1) Save more money, which goes with not buying any useless crap: I hate that I look through catalogs, like Crate and Barrel, and want stuff. These catalogs actually have seasonally themed furniture collections. As if people buy a new couch each season so that their living room matches the crocus flowers, and then the fall foliage.
2) Do not go crazy: Yes, sounds straight forward, but I know I have jammed a lot of school and professional goals into the first 6 months of 2008, and I need to remember that the crazy schedule will be temporary, and well worth the effort.
3) See more of family and friends: I moved very far away from many of my loved ones. And as I haven't really had time to find a new social group I want to put serious effort into maintaining existing friendships. This may be the most difficult goal for me as I tend to follow "out of sight, out of mind" when it comes to family and friends. Aging grandparents and the realization that I really care for my far-flung friends has made me want to abandon my social laziness. Hopefully this blog helps a bit.

* I do like the phrase "pull a Huckabee". For me it not only means hypocritical, and "having it both ways", but also implies a certain level of stupidity, as if no one would possibly notice your contemptible behavior.

No comments: