Friday, December 28, 2007

We Did Make It Back

We did make it back from Kent, CT. While not a restful holiday, it was an important trip. Rick's grandfather, Dickie, started hospice care after fighting cancer for over 20 years. His full-time care giver is amazing. Oh if you have a wood burning fireplace I highly recommend these for a festive touch; Dickie's most asked for favor was to throw more on the fire.

Hmm, I started writing a list of Dickie's accomplishments, but is sounded too much like an eulogy, so I stopped.

Rick has started, and promises to complete a blog entry about our 11.5 hour drive home on Wednesday. Should have taken 9 hours. It didn't.

And I did get my wished for reading of Dylan Thomas's 'A Child's Christmas In Wales'. My favorite part:

Or I would go out, my bright new boots squeaking, into the white world, on to the seaward hill, to call on Jim and Dan and Jack and to pad through the still streets, leaving huge footprints on the hidden pavements.
"I bet people will think there's been hippos."
"What would you do if you saw a hippo coming down our street?"
"I'd go like this, bang! I'd throw him over the railings and roll him down the hill and then I'd tickle him under the ear and he'd wag his tail."
"What would you do if you saw two hippos?"

No comments: