Monday, December 10, 2007

Man-Made Tornados And Little-Old-Lady Battery

Saturday was spent realizing I am going to abandon my EMT partner as he is incapable of passing the state exam this Thursday. I am extremely conflicted about this decision and can't quite write about it yet.

Sunday we rented the most amazing piece of lawn equipment. It is a gas-powered, pushable leaf blower. I know, I know, leaf blowers are a good way to make your neighbors hate you, but we waited until 11 am to start using it, and in 3 hours we were able to clear our entire yard of the layers and layers of leaves we have allowed to build-up. This machine moved 3 feet of leaves into the woods behind our house without a problem, AND was very pretty to watch.

I also went to my first League of Women Voters event: their annual holiday party. The Williamsburg League (and yes, when I say, write, or think "league" I imagine some super hero group in an underground bunker with costumes that involve capes - this is very very far from the reality) is primarily made-up of retired or semi-retired ladies. Many are over 70 years old. I had the unfortunate experience of being pulled aside at the party and having a 4'9'' woman tell me in the kindest way possible that I need to shake hands more gently with older folks as my pressure is vice-like and will cause their hands to bruise. She showed me her hand, and sure enough I had caused some redness and swelling. Damn those blood thinners they all take. The thing that makes this story even worse is that I found out later that this women is the mother of one of Rick's co-workers.

No comments: