Monday, April 14, 2008

Rambo and Sad Dog

I had never seen Rambo: First Blood until yesterday. What a movie. I loved almost every second of it, and the final scene, regardless of the mention of fictional spitting, is moving, and made me tear-up a bit. I know. I know. But I am pregnant. Certainly made me even more aware of my bias when I see young men in uniform, and we have a lot of them in my area. Was very interesting that the movie simultaneously asked me to question the government training men into killers, and yet also made me fiercely cheer-on the PTSDing John Rambo. Hell, I even felt patriotic, which says something in these times. Does anyone remember David Caruso in this: Deputy Mitch. Might be his first portrayal of a cop. And as always Brian Dennehy makes an awesome antagonist.

Also I couldn't help but notice the similarities between the first Rambo and the first Predator movies. Arnie and Stallone are so similar, and yet could you imagine either of these movies made with the other one in the starring role. Yikes: John Rambo would have been named Johann Schmidt. The movie would have been Schmidt: First Blut.

On a sadder note my dog seems to be sick, or depressed, or something. She was limping around yesterday. And today she followed me from room to room, ALL day. Now she is hiding under Rick's desk. Not sure what is up, and we may need a vet appointment if this continues another day. We have been doing some status reduction training with her in preparation for the baby. She has had her doggie bed moved out bedroom, to the hallway, and a week ago it was placed all the way downstairs. I wonder if her symptoms are at all attention getting, or whether there really is something wrong.

2 comments:

dredful said...

Poor Osa. Tell her that her uncle Craig still loves her. :-)

For another early Caruso movie, check out King of New York for a gripping drama filled with a bevy of "before they were stars" including Wesley Snipes, Steve Buscemi and Larry Fishburne! It is a dark tale, but I love this movie because it is one of the last where Christopher Walken still acts. (As opposed to simply being Christopher Walken, like he does today.)

Another good "when Christopher Walken used to act" movie is a smart 80's sci-fi movie called Brainstorm. His co-star is the lovely Natalie Wood who died 2 years before this, her last movie, was released. while on a yacht with her then husband Robert Wagner and Christopher Walken, she fell into the water and drowned while trying to get into a dingy alone in the night. This has been a point of suspicion for she was known to be deathly afraid of drowning. Apparently her fears were justified.

McTodds said...

Nice film info Dredmon! I think you might have loaned us King of New York, because I know I have seen it, and distinctly remember the very young Christopher Walken. I remember an excellent shot-em-up scene in the beginning of the movie, something about the suit Wesley Snipes wore remains in my memory - was it purple?

I am really looking forward to Rambo II, even though I know it does not contain even the small amount of thought provoking content that the first did.